In India, Lord Ganesha is worshiped before the commencement of almost every task. He is worshiped first in almost all rituals of Hinduism.Be it a marriage, examinations, house construction or any auspicious occasion, Lord Ganesh’s name is invoked. In fact, Lord Ganesha is almost synonymous with the beginning of any work. Ever wondered why is it that we worship Ganesha first. We have some theories as to why Ganesha is worshiped before the commencement of every work in a South Indian Wedding.
Here it goes:
1. Mythology says Once Goddess Parvati instructed Ganesha to guard the gates and not to let anybody enter.As Ganesha stood on guard, Lord Shiva came and headed towards his room.When he was prevented from entering the house by Ganesha, Lord Shiva became furious and chopped off Ganesha’s head.Hearing Ganesha’s scream, Goddess Parvati came running and on seeing Ganesha’s plight she became furious.She pledged to destroy the world if Her son was not brought back to life. Then Lord Shiva replaced Ganesha’s head with an elephant’s and brought Him back to life.Lord Shiva also bestowed Ganesha with divine powers and declared that no puja or good work will ever be deemed complete without invoking Lord Ganesha’s name and blessings.
2. He is also called Vinakaya or the destroyer of all obstacles. His long ears signify that e hears everything that his devotees say. Hence, Lord Ganesha became the ‘pratham pujya’ or the one who is worshiped first.
3.He unleashes creativity. Ganesh is the only God whom you can see in various poses and forms. No Hindu sentiments get affected with these depictions. He has been shown dancing, sleeping, angry. He would probably win the Filmfare for most featured god in Indian Movies.
4.People who find solutions to everyday problems becomes famous like Facebook and WhatsApp, just like Ganesha who takes care of the everyday wishes and removing obstacles before starting a job. Lakshmi helps you earn wealth, Vishnu helps you reach the heavens. All these boons are a little complex for a common worshipper.
5.In a South Indian Wedding the first pooja is for Ganesha, You could have a Gold Ganesha with diamond studded trunk or a Ganesha made out of Turmeric. Minimalism is his star attraction.
6. Things trending the metro cities like Mumbai,Chennai,Bangalore,Hyderabad,Pune etc always attracts more people (traffic in terms of a blogger). And anything that comes to metro is urbanized Likewise, Ganesha Pooja has spread across these cities and he tends to be the favourite of the masses.
7. He is a symbol for symbolism because he means something to everybody.
Big Head – Big Thinking.
Large Ears- Listen More.
Small Mouth- Talk Less.
Axe- To cut off all Bonds and attachment.
Abhaya Hastha- Blessings.
Large Stomach- Peacefully Digest all good and bad in life.
Prasada- Whole world is in your feet.
Mouse- Desire unless under control can cause havoc. Ride it and keep it under your control.
Modaka- Rewards for Achievement.
Trunk- Efficiency and adaptability.
One tusk- Retain good and throw away bad.
8. You can even have a Whatsapp game made under him.Something like this